The TOEFL writing test has high requirements for candidates. The main difficulties are: the use of vocabulary, sentence patterns, typing speed, and so on. However, I think that vocabulary and typing speed can be overcome with a little attention when preparing for the test. The key is that the use of sentence patterns can stump many candidates. Here are 15 good TOEFL independent writing sentences for you. I hope it will help you understand the use of sentence patterns.
1. Several years ago, Chinese streets were filled with people wearing identical drab clothing. Today, however, things are quite different and the streets are awash with people wearing fashionable bright colored outfits. Why has the change taken place?
2. Years of observing human behavior has enabled me to conclude that the major difference between mediocrity and success lies solely with the individual concerned. Successful individuals consistently seek advancement, while their less industrious contemporaries are merely content with the status quo.
3. With the use of the Internet becoming ever-present, its pros and cons has become a subject of a matter for debate
4. Research has revealed that young people who are exposed to advertisements for alcohol are likely to drink more.
5. I am convinced that there is a clear relationship between advertising and eating choices among children.
6. In recent years, it has appeared as if/ it seems that the living standard of human society has been substantially improved
7. People used to place total reliance on the government. The so-called “iron rice bowl “prevailed in the past, but things are quite different today.
9. There is probably no issue more important to a civil society than the access to education.
10. Many people now prefer to spend time in front of the computer rather than with their family
12. Perhaps it is time to reexamine the idea that college degrees are a guarantee of intelligence.
13. A growing number of people are beginning to realize that wealth is not the sole prerequisite for happiness.
14. In spite of the extraordinary progress made in science and technology, problems remain in terms of guaranteeing that achievements benefit the greatest number of people.
15. A famous thinker once wrote that “the greatest threat to mankind is mankind itself!”If this is indeed the case, then the current situation should make us ponder our further existence.
I hope the 15 sentences above are helpful for everyone’s writing of TOEFL. Everyone can accumulate some such good sentences when preparing for the exam. Maybe you can use it directly when you take the exam. On the other hand, using some pretty English idioms or proverbs also can help your TOEFL writing.