The guns are back in town in Borderlands 3 and, as always, you can get even more of them with the Shift code system. Borderlands 3 Shift codes grant you Golden Keys used to unlock special chests full of rare guns, class mods and other loot. Think of Golden Keys as a shortcut to getting something particularly powerful out of Borderlands 3’s billion-odd guns.
That’s not all Borderlands 3 Shift codes can unlock—they can also grant you special cosmetics and other items you can’t get any other way.
Gearbox is regularly releasing new Borderlands 3 Shift codes, and we’re keeping this article updated with the newest ones, so you’ll always be able to find some working Golden Keys. So far, many of Borderlands 3’s Shift codes have expired after only a few hours, and are posted exclusively on Randy Pitchford’s Twitter account. Here’s how to redeem Borderlands 3’s Shift codes, and all six Golden Key shift codes that work right now.
For Borderlands 3 VIP codes, which are a whole different set of unlockables, hit the link. And if you’re still playing Borderlands 2, head over to our collection of Borderlands 2 Shift Codes.
First things first: Here are the Golden Key Shift codes that work right now.
Borderlands 3 Golden Key Shift codes
- ZFKJ3-TT3BB-JTBJT-T3JJT-JWX9H – 3 Golden Keys
- 9XCBT-WBXFR-5TRWJ-JJJ33-TX53Z – 1 Golden Key
- ZRWBJ-ST6XR-CBFKT-JT3J3-FRXJ5 – 1 Golden Key
- Z65B3-JCXX6-5JXW3-3B33J-9SWT6 – 1 Golden Key
- HXKBT-XJ6FR-WBRKJ-J3TTB-RSBHR – 1 Golden Key
- ZFKJ3-TT6FF-KTFKT-T3JJT-JWX36 – 1 Golden Key
Borderlands 3 Shift codes and Golden Keys: How they work
Borderlands 3 Shift codes come in two forms, although only the Golden Keys above have been dished out so far. Here’s the gist:
- Golden Keys will unlock a special chest that is guaranteed to give you an item (usually a gun) of a high rarity. Shift codes often grant a batch of a few golden keys to use. It’s sort of like playing a free slot machine, except you’re guaranteed to get a rare item—just not necessarily one that you want.
- Cosmetics: Some Shift codes will likely unlock special skins for Borderlands 3’s vault hunters. In Borderlands 2, these were often tied to special events, and getting a Shift code was the only way to unlock the skin.
Gearbox may even have more plans for what you unlock with Shift codes in the future, but the redemption process is the same no matter what, and it’s pretty straightforward—the easiest way is to use the website Shift.GearboxSoftware.com, after you’ve linked up your Epic Games Store (or console) account.
Here’s how to redeem Shift codes:
- In-game through the menu. You’ll copy the 25-digit Shift code, tab into your game and paste it in. Voila, guns or cosmetics for you!
- Online via Shift.GearboxSoftware.com. Create an account or login, and make sure you’ve linked up your Epic account so you can redeem codes for PC. From the menu, click “Rewards” and then paste your Shift code and click “check” to register it. Important note: if you use a multiplatform code and it doesn’t work, try redeeming in-game before giving up.
- Or online via the new Borderlands VIP site. Create an account or login with your old Shift account; from the Shift menu, choose “Redeem code” to go to the Shift page. On this page you can paste in a Shift code or a different code type (Borderlands 3 has several others) by clicking the appropriate icon. Important note: Multiplatform Shift codes don’t currently work properly on the website, and will tell you they’re good for only one platform (e.g. Xbox). But if you redeem them in-game instead, they’ll work on PC as well.
How to use your Golden Keys
In-game, your golden keys should be delivered to you via Borderlands mail. But how do you use ’em? That’s simple: Head to the big golden chest in Sanctuary, near the fast travel point. Here’s where to find it, and what it looks like: